21st Century Education System

Preparing for the 21st century education system.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Scope: Education for whom?

Here I won't even try to be objective: These are my own preferences.

I am interested in the main-stream mass of K12 students. Aka "Kids."

Age group: I have a 7.5 year-old daughter and a 3-year-old son. This explains my preoccupation with K12 education: Kindergarten to 12th grade.

Countries: The West, and also West wannabees. I know too little about the rest.

Special needs? No. There are many subgroups with their own needs and their own existing - usually partial - solutions.
  • The specially gifted have venues to develop their special gifts
  • Those with learning disorders have a whole industry catering to them
  • The economically privileged will have their schools, no matter what the establishment says
  • The economically underprivileged have many organizations trying to help them
  • All other specific groups may have or may not have some targeted solutions
This blog is concerned mostly with those with regular needs. I believe that clearing the common ground and building something useful on that ground, will serve almost everybody. Once we have the main building, we can tailor custom additions for the special needs.

So, regular kids with regular needs.

A group worthy of a good effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment